Come listen to living prophets

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Street Dancing

We asked our friend, Nancy, to write a first hand experience of William's breakout career in street dancing:

Will’s mom (my best friend, Lori) said Will wanted to wait with me as we camped out at the 'Provo Parade University Street-party' (holding places for the next morning's Independence parade) while she and Brent took my two older daughters home to clean up and baked sticky buns for the following morning. “Of course, he can stay!”, being that I love that little guy almost to death! He jumped out of the car and his parents left.

I was playing cards with my 10 yr old daughter Caitlyn when Will walked up to me and asked if I had a container. "What kind of container, Will?” and he replied, “something to put money in.” I said, ‘Sorry, buddy, I don’t have any containers here. Hey, what if I finish drinking this water and you can have my water bottle?” And with raised eye brows and a smile he said, “Sure, that’ll work!” So I gulped the last of my water and handed him the bottle. My curiosity got the best of me, “Why do you want this bottle anyway?” And with all the confidence of a teenager, 6 ½ yr old Will replied: “I want to dance on the sidewalk so people will put money in it.” I said ‘You want to dance for money?” My mind raced with Lori and Brent’s possible reactions when they would find out I let their son street dance and solicit money. I asked why he needs money and he said "I’m saving for a Disney cruise!" Of course he was, I knew that.

So, there we are, an empty water bottle at his feet, and Will doing the ROBOT dance. He had a green glow necklace around his face from his chin to the top of his head. Very cute. People would walk by and I’d point to Will and say “Little man dancing for nickels and dimes!” And all types of people would stop and drop in their change.

A couple of college girls asked if they could take a picture with him. “Sure! I’d say. One group was about 12 people large. They surrounded Will and asked me to take the picture, they left him a $5 bill in his bottle! Guys stopped on their skateboards and hand-holding couples took pictures with their cell phones. There was Will, giving the camera a thumbs up! If I got distracted and people walked by without me bringing him to their attention, he’d yell towards me and say, “Nance, you forgot the money call!” So, I’d apologize and say, “I’ll get the next group, sorry!”

I was so impressed with his diligence and confidence. A sign of things to come….

Post note: Will counted the money he made from dancing for an hour and his haul was $15.58. I love that even though it was pretty late at night, he promptly separated his earnings into tithing, mission, Disney cruise savings, spending, and no-touch savings. He is already far ahead of his parents.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I wish I could have seen that. What a great kid!

Sara said...

OH MY GOSH!!! That is HILARIOUS! Dancing for money- ha ha! I laughed out loud reading this post. What a cutie! I wish I could have seen that. I love the budgeting at the end too. What a great boy!

Jada said...

I love it!! Will is so Cute!!